A tradition of excellence
Sir James Henderson and the other founding members of the Sir James Henderson School shared
a vision which continues to drive the school forward today: to provide a high-caliber British
education in Milan in a truly international environment. The school continues to strive for
excellence in academics, music, art, sports and community service while providing students the
opportunity to advance themselves in every field. Students also grow as individuals and develop
a strong sense of who they are and of their capabilities. SJHS gives its students a solid
foundation for pursuing their university studies in the country of their choice, be it the UK,
Italy, the US or elsewhere.
A tradition of community spirit
The SJHS is a community that embraces students from many diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Everyone is linked by the shared commitment to learning and the desire to achieve excellence.
Each member of the SJHS community plays a critical role in creating the school’s unique
atmosphere and character:
- Teachers and staff create a stimulating and supportive atmosphere
- Parents and teachers work together to spread school spirit through the work of The Friends
- The House system and the Student Council in both the Lower and Upper Schools allow students
to play an active role in carrying on school traditions and fosters a sense of community.
- Musical events and Sports Department activities create contagious school spirit and give
students the opportunity to travel to other schools to perform and compete.
A tradition of providing opportunities for achievement
The SJHS provides motivated students the opportunity to excel in Music, Arts, Sciences, Languages
and Social Sciences. The school makes the most of its location and size to offer students unique
opportunities for study and travel.
- The Art and Music Department are among the best in Europe, with annual performances in
diverse venues. Alumni go on to reach highest levels in their fields.
- SJHS is the Royal Board of Music examining centre in Italy.
- SJHS students consistently perform in the top percentile for Languages. The school
offers EAL (English as an additional language) as well the national Italian curriculum.
- The Science Department conducts classes in state of the art laboratories, providing
students with hands on experience.
- SJHS student athletes compete on both national and international levels.
- Students participate in field trips all over Italy to deepen their knowledge and
understanding of its history and geography.